Sunday, February 20, 2005

Gardening 101

When I was little I helped my grandma with her garden. So I figured I knew everything I needed to know.

When I finally got my own yard first thing I planted was 3 tomato plants. Just dug out some holes and plopped them in. I watered them 2 or 3 times a week pulled weeds whenever they got bad. I got one tomato that year.

The next year I planted some morning glory seeds along the fence and next to a sign. They were beautiful. So my Uncle brought me over a lilac bush we dug a hole plopped it in I watered it every now and then. It died.

That same year I decided to make a flower bed. My brother and I bought some landscape timber and made a nice size bed. And then I started digging and digging and digging. I knew you had to dig up the dirt and whack it with a hoe till it was all soft and crumbly. What I didn't know was that I didn't have good dirt. I had clay and rocks. I never did get it all soft and crumbly and only half of the seeds I planted actually grew. It was quite discouraging.

Then my Uncle must have felt sorry for my pitiful attempts, Because he enrolled me into a Master Gardeners class thru an ISU extension office in Des Moines. And I really haven't been the same since. In case I never said it before Thanks Rand.

That winter I learned so many things it was wonderful. The first thing you learn about is dirt. I needed to add things to my dirt. So I added sand for drainage Peat moss to hold water and topsoil because obviously it had none. And so I had dirt, I planted petunias,impatiens, morning glories, violas, and four o'clocks. They all grew except the four o'clocks.(I still can't grow four o'clocks)

Then I planted another bed with a mixture of wild flower seeds. They all grew and ever since then I've been a planting fool. Some things still die but most things grow when I plant them now and if they die I just try again in a different spot. To this day my favorite flower is a morning glory (the big blue ones).

If you think you can't get anything to grow just plant some morning glory seeds along a fence or by a pole and they will grow. And if you liked that and want to grow more things take a Master Gardener class they have them everywhere and it doesn't cost much for what you can get out of it.

Changing the subject I would like to take this time to congratulate My first boy friend Jim on his marriage to Jennifer last week on valentines day how romantic (sigh). Goodbye for now.

No comments: