Saturday, February 12, 2005

Nice Sunny Day

Good morning. Today looks like it's going to be beautiful. A little tease of spring before the real thing.

I've been looking at the flower catalogs I never order I just get ideas. I usually start my plants from seed. I'm what you would call an ADD gardener. I have the attention span of a hummingbird. So I find it cheaper to start things from seed because I always have casualties due to lack of time and poor planning.

My garden has been very neglected for the last couple of years with Jeff being away with the Army and taking care of baby Austin. Not to mention planning a wedding and putting on a new roof. I will probably be picking nails out of my flower beds forever. We are going to use a metal detector this spring in our yard and our neighbors (my teenage boys got a little overzealous tearing off the garage roof shot nails all over his back yard.) I love teenagers they are so helpful.

I'm getting ready to start some seeds this weekend. Mostly herbs and annuals. I will try a few perennials I would like to try to grow some Lupine and Monkshood.

I have a large area in the very back of my yard that I have been fighting for 5 years. I want it to be a secret garden but so far its a weed garden. So this year I am starting all over tilling the whole thing up laying out my paths building a wall (We have many levels in our yard.) And moving my hardy perennials back there since it's a long way to water. I'm sure it will take at least 5 years to get it the way I want it.

Yesterday I noticed my daffodils peeking out so it won't be long now.

Austin is with his grandma this weekend so I probably should go get things done while I can. He's walking now and insisting on going where he shouldn't so I have to do some rearranging.

I can't wait to introduce him to the yard. Last fall I sat him in a flower bed and he just dug his little hands into the dirt over and over and he didn't try to put it in his mouth. I'm sure he will get a taste of dirt this year.

He's such a neat baby he loves to cuddle and he grabs your face and gives you big open mouth slobbery kisses. He has just started making the kissing noises lately so it's probably time for his cute kisses to evolve into normal less wet ones. Oh well I shall miss them.

No comments: