Friday, October 28, 2005

A little bit of Iowa - Boone

A couple of weeks ago there was an article in the paper about a survey on what other people in the US knew about Iowa. According to the article not very many people know where Iowa is. And a lot of the people that do know where it is assume it is flat and boring with nothing but cornfields and farm houses. So I've decided to show everybody a little bit of Iowa each month. I agree some of Iowa might be boring, usually when your traveling on the Interstate. But hop on a side road or travel the Scenic River Road and you'll probably find something interesting.



Today we went to Boone County. We visited the Ledges State Park for a little while. It's a very neat park just south of Boone IA. It starts out on top of a hill and you drive one way down a winding road. Close to the top there is a lookout spot where I took this picture. When you get to the bottom there are very tall rock formations that your not supposed to climb but some people do anyway. A small stream winds through the valley floor so there are about 5 places where you drive through the water. The kids really like that part. There are lots of trails and lots of hills to climb. It's a real nice place for a picnic and a great place to take pictures. Of course I only took a couple because we had other places to go.



We hopped into the car and drove for 5 minutes to Boone IA. We went on the Boone Scenic Valley Railroad. The fall colors are almost done but the mighty Oak waited for me so I did find some color. The trip takes about 2 hours and some of the views are pretty cool. You can bring lunch with you and eat it on the train. If I could have gotten here a week earlier mother nature would have been showing off her best colors. But Iowa weather does have a habit of being unpredictable.



Other places in Boone that we didn't have time for was Mamie Doud Eisenhower's birthplace and the Iowa Arboretum which is south of Boone. My friend Jodi, Austin and I had a real nice day even if it was kind of spur of the moment. If you ever go be sure to check departure times beforehand. We almost missed the train.

3 comments:

Mike Overall said...

That's a pretty neat place ya got there. I'd love to just hop in the car and see the world. Check out my site if you're ever in my neck of the woods:

http://spiritoftexas.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love to read these, you do a great job, and it keeps me up on what is going on with you. Love Ya. Mom

OldRoses said...

Guilty as charged! I'm one of those who is not sure where IA is and that it's flat and covered with cornfields. Thanks for helping me overcome my ignorance.