Saturday, February 04, 2006

Parsley Rocks!



After 42 days of above average (didn't even have to wear a sweater) weather. Old Man Winter might be coming around. It's getting kind of chilly out there. The wind chimes are going crazy.



Every year I pick a new herb to learn about, grow and use. Last year it was Dill. This year it's going to be Parsley (Petroselinum crispum). Parsley originated in the Eastern Mediterranean region. It has been known as a medicinal herb for over 2 thousand years.

Parsley is a diuretic that purifies the blood and accelerates the excretion of toxins. It stimulates the appetite and aids digestion and metabolism. It can also ease bloating, stomach cramps and nausea. As well as relieve arthritis symptoms. Eaten regularly, it reduces heart rate and lowers blood pressure.

Don't cook parsley, because heat destroys it's valuable vitamins and minerals. Chop the herb just before using and add it to hot foods at the last minute. You can keep it fresh by sprinkling it with water,wrapping it in paper towels and refrigerating in a plastic bag or place parsley stems in a glass of water and refrigerate. You can also freeze it in a plastic container or bag and remove just what you need for each recipe.

That's what I've learned so far about Parsley. And for years I just thought of it as a garnish. I've already started adding it to some of our meals but not the fresh kind. I'm going to start some from seed soon and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Maybe I'll go to the store and buy some fresh but probably not. It never looks very fresh at the stores around here.



I went to the Walmart for my mother. I couldn't stop myself from going into the garden section. I bought some seeds and an African Violet that was on sale. It was a bi color and so unique looking I just couldn't resist. My grandma would have loved it.

1 comment:

OldRoses said...

FABULOUS African violet! And I like your selection of seeds. I read somewhere that parsley is hard to grow from seed. I've tried it without much luck. Can't wait to see how yours does.