Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Room With A view



I love Eastern Iowa, we had fun camping out. We stayed at Bellevue State Park, which is right next to the Mississippi River. There is a Butterfly Sanctuary at the park that was very interesting. I took pictures of it with my other camera and I haven't had time to develop the film yet so I guess that part will be blogged later.



Austin and Michael were with us so that was interesting. They were both very good and neither of them got poison ivy or bug bites. JoJo did get poison ivy but she had lots of fun getting it. All together we totaled 17 campers with 9 tents. My brothers tent wins the prize for most interesting. Even the Park Ranger came down and asked him about it. He made the tent himself for the Ren Faires he participates in. He must have inherited that sewing gene that I haven't found yet.



Saturday we went to Maquoketa State Park to explore the caves. The boys and I were there a few years ago and we camped at the campground, but there aren't too many spots and you have to get there on a Wednesday or early Thursday to get a spot. Only a few can be reserved, the rest are first come first serve.



There are 15 different caves in a canyon that circles the campground and picnic area. My favorite one is the ice cave, It's a nice place to stop and cool off. I don't like small spaces so I only go in the caves you can walk in.



HB and the boys like to crawl around in all of them. They have told me about one that you have to go under the water to get to the other side. Better bring a ziplock baggy for your flashlight for that one.



We all got there at different times so when we found everyone they were on top of a hill. So we climbed it, took a while but we made it. After that I was done for the day so I took Austin to the park while they climbed in more caves.



We were going to go back the next day before going home, but it started raining around 4 a.m. and didn't stop till after JL's tent flooded and we had packed everything up. It would have been too slippery and muddy at the caves so we headed for home.



We had a great time and HB is already talking about going back next year:)

No comments: