Saturday, August 19, 2006

Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens



I visited the Arboretum Sunday morning before we left Kansas. The weather was perfect not too hot or humid. I didn't know what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful everything was. The first garden we came to was the Monet Garden. It was dedicated in 2003 and was designed to capture the blending of soft colors and shapes found in the original Monet gardens.



At the end of the path of the Monet Garden, there was a nice place to rest and look at the water pond. It was very peaceful and the butterflies were in abundance.



The Erickson Water Garden has been here since 1996, it's a popular spot for weddings in the summer. This garden includes bird and butterfly plants. (including a Buddelia collection).



They also have a sculpture exhibition, they are for sale but the cheapest one is $500. The one I liked the best was Summer at the Pond by Robin Richerson. But even if I had a pond to put it by, $3750 is just too much for me to spend on yard art.



These sculptures are made of clay and they want $ 2600 for each one. I took the picture because of the Lisianthus. I'm thinking of trying to grow some white ones next year. They have been selling them as cut flowers at the farmers market and my curiosity has been piqued.



It was very peaceful walking through the woodland gardens. There was a stream of water that ran beside the path as you walked down a gracefully curving hill. At the bottom was a path that led to an open area that had a little shed with windows surrounded by bird feeders. They wouldn't pose for me and the batteries started going dead on the camera so this is the best I could get.



Next and last stop was The Children's Discovery Garden. This picture was taken from the top of a man made hill. At the top of this hill is a tepee frame with a bench to sit upon. It gives you a nice 360 view of the Gardens. The Children's garden has a frog pond,a story tree,a shrinking tunnel,a grass maze and a council ring. The only thing it was missing while we were there was children;)


We didn't go on all the trails (nearly 5 miles of them) and we missed a couple of gardens (due to lack of time). But it was a nice 2 hour walk and I had a good time with my new friend Mrs. King:)

3 comments:

OldRoses said...

WOW! What a great place. Thanks so much for the tour.

Mistress of Longears said...

Thank you for the kind review of the Overland Park Garden. I'm an Overland Park resident. Next time you visit, you might enjoy the Muriel Kauffman memorial garden (near the Plaza).

Sissy said...

Fabulous pics!! I am a stooge for annuals! The first photo on this post, is that a combo of Zinnia and Cosmo? It is stunning!!