Sunday, October 22, 2006

Madison County, Iowa



Friday JM,Michael,Austin and I went to Madison County. I wanted to get some pictures of the Fall colors and a few other things in that area. I didn't find much color but we did manage to find 5 of the six remaining bridges.



This is a picture of the Hogback Bridge it turned out the best. If you want to see pictures of all of the bridges and learn a little of their history go here. Some of the bridges were rebuilt after an arsonist burnt them down. I found an article about what they are doing to prevent any more fires.



Besides the bridges there are other points of interest in Madison County. My favorite place to go is Winterset City Park. When you go in, there is a place to park so you can see one of the bridges. But if you keep on going down a winding road, eventually you will reach the Clark Tower, where you can see a great view of lots of trees and this cute little house.



The park has a great playground for the kids and a campground. After I got home I found out it also has a hedge maze. So next year I will have to go back just to check it out. Of course we couldn't leave without driving by John Waynes' Birthplace. We didn't go in because the babies were getting tired and so were we.



It was a nice day and JM got to see some things she hadn't seen since she was little. Like her parents initials carved on the wall inside the Hogback Bridge.

4 comments:

OldRoses said...

What a wonderful place! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Sissy said...

Such a lovely hillside!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos.
I would like to visit here too.

IBOY said...

Nice pictures; looks like New England.
Don