Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans Day Salute

It's 6:45 a.m. and pretty soon my favorite veteran will be getting ready for work. Have you hugged your favorite veteran today? I saw my second favorite vet last week at the store. I asked if I could blog him today and he said yes:) His name is Robert B.J. Jackson, and he is a pretty amazing young man.



I've known BJ since he was a teenager hanging out with my son. He was one of the few friends I actually got to meet. He married another one of JD's good friends Abby and she is pretty amazing too.


For me their story started a long time ago, before 911, before the Afghanistan war and before the war in Iraq. But for the rest of the world it started on August 7, 2003. I'll never forget the day JD got the call saying BJ had been seriously injured in Iraq. He was so upset and there just isn't anything you can do but sit around and wait for the next phone call. I could tell you the whole story but that would take too long and I think BJ tells it better here.



It took a little while but he finally came home. We saw him here and there and in the newspaper or on TV. He always looked so proud and strong standing there shaking the Presidents hand or showing Oprah how well his new legs worked. Last year I saw him out trick or treating with his 2 daughters. I could tell it was not easy for him walking up and down the hills and on the uneven ground. But he was having a wonderful time with his kids and that was all that mattered to him.



It could have been different he could have sat around and felt sorry for himself decided not to walk again, but I don't think for him that was ever an option. Instead he chose to fight for a life and now he helps others do the same thing. It's been over 3 years since that horrible day in Iraq. BJ has a great job being an Iowa Representative for the Coalition to Salute America's Heroes. BJ and Abby have a new son and they have welcomed 4 other children into their family and their new home. I'm glad that his story has a happy ending or should I say his new life a happy beginning.

BJ you are a wonderful person, a loving husband and father, a loyal soldier and I am very proud of you and your wife. My husband and I salute both of you.

4 comments:

Jeannine Clark said...

BJ, you could not have done a better article for Vets day than this one. You are one cool daughter. Mom

snappy said...

Its remembrance Sunday here in the UK, and the day is full of ceremonys and poppies.He sounds like a real hero, and when we hear the news about deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan they are always someones son, daughter, husbands, wives.We need to honour those who make sacrifices for their countries.Its a lovely post!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yes I hug my vet everyday!
;-)