Monday, December 11, 2006

My Favorite Plant - edited by Jamaica Kincaid



Today I started reading the book selected for this month on the Garden Bloggers book club at May Dreams Gardens. I've been waiting for it for a week. I tried to find it in our library but they didn't have it. Then I found it on e-bay and was the only bidder until the last minute when I was busy with Army parties and someone out bid me by 50 cents. I went over to Amazon and paid $5.00, which was a better deal then the book on e-bay.



I've been trying to figure out what my favorite plant is and I just can't pick one. I decided to start with plants I actually have. If I picked a houseplant I would say it's a toss up between the African Violet and the Christmas Cactus. I grew up with the African Violet. My grandmother always had many different varieties all over the house. I think that is one of the few luxuries she allowed for herself. She had other plants, but it was the African Violets that would get you into the most trouble if you dared to disturb them.



The Christmas Cactus I've only been getting to know for about 7 years. It's been a nice 7 years they never give me any trouble. They don't care if I'm a little late watering them. They will stay in the same pot for years without complaining. And every winter they reward my neglect with beautiful flowers.




My plants outside are probably all a favorite plant, just at different times of the year. I planted for the first time some Crocus bulbs. They should be making me smile in a few more months. Daffodils come next and I wouldn't have a garden without some. I've always thought of them as happy flowers:) My mother's favorite flower is top on my list. I love the many different colors and styles of the Iris. The smell is sweet and they are so easy to grow, all you need is dirt and sun.



During the summer I can always count on Daisies. Every Memorial Day I take flowers to my loved ones graves. Sometimes there are Columbine, Peonies, Roses or Iris in the bouquet, but every year there are Daisies. I can't forget my annuals what would summer be like without Petunias, Allysum, Snapdragons, and Rose Moss, just to name a few.



In the autumn Mums, Asters, and Pansies are something to look forward to. But it's the changing colors of the trees that really catch my eye.



My Favorite Plant was a nice read, it was similar to Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul which I also liked. Last month's selection I didn't really like, I quit reading it after the 4th chapter. I'm going to try to find next month's book at the library. But if I can't find it I'll be reading Eat More Dirt by Ellen Sandbeck. I checked it out at the library and couldn't get enough of it so I bought a copy for myself.



It is impossible for me to pick one favorite plant. If there is a plant that is easy to grow, blooms all year long, smells real pretty, and doesn't mind a little neglect I might pick it. But only if I can keep all my other flowers too:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beverly,
We'll have to start a special club for gardeners who can't pick just one favorite plant! I love them all, too, and am having a hard time decideing.

I'll be linking you in on the "club post" around Dec. 29th.

And, gasp, you didn't like Henry Mitchell!? That's okay... I guess he isn't for everyone. :-)

Carol

Colleen said...

I love the way you looked at this in a seasonal way! It's true..in each season there is something that just stands out. And, I'm with you on african violets. I love them. I wish I had more success with them, but I'm still trying. And, I love daisies, too. The only thing the homeowner before me had planted here were shasta daisies, and I thank her every summer for planting them.