Saturday, February 03, 2007

Visitors



This week I have had a lot of visitors at the bird feeder. One day stands out more than the others. I happened to glance out the window and I saw red. Lot's of it. I crawled across the floor getting the camera set up and slowly raised my head to look out the window.


 
Posted by Picasa


There was a cardinal convention in my backyard. I have never seen this many cardinals in one place before. They were everywhere they were even in the neighbors bushes waiting their turn. I don't know how many were there but I counted seventeen at one time. I know there were more but as soon as I moved my head to look at the serviceberry bush they flew away:(



I'm glad I got to enjoy such a wonderful sight. All I could think was how much my grandma would have loved to have seen it too. Michael and Austin kept popping their heads up to see but the birds didn't seem to mind them at all. Probably because they didn't have a camera.

11 comments:

Hillside Garden said...

Beverly, what wonderful photos. And you have other birds than we in Germany. Such a colour! Our birds are most black, grey and brown.

Sigrun

jody said...

Oh my grandma would have loved to see that too .She loved cardinals

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I love your cardinal pictures! At both dusk and dawn I will have from 10-20 cardinals on the ground at the feeders and in the shrubs. In the summer time when night is almost ready to fall I can hear the cardinals calling to one another as they settle for the night. In the summer time the Dad brings the baby birds to the feeder and feeds them.

OldRoses said...

How do you attract so many cardinals? Every house I have ever lived in only had one pair of cardinals in the yard!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I have never had just two cardinals, I have always had whole families of the beauties! It seems I read that cardinals do not travel great distances, they tend to stay in one area, so maybe that is it? My feeders are out the whole year long, maybe that helps as well?

Leslie said...

I was lucky enough to a see a cardinal when visiting my aunt in Ohio this summer...I love your photos! Count my grandma as another who would have loved to see your flock!

Beverly said...

For years I have only had one couple visit regularly. They must have had a food shortage somewhere else. But if putting out seed all year long will keep them here I think I'll have to try that.

sisah said...

Wonderful birds, there are not native in Europe. At my winter feeding place there are at the moment only titmice, every now and then robins and lots of sparrows and one of the most colourful birds of Germany a kingfisher is living at our stream. But they are all too quick to take a photo of.
You are very lucky get one of these beautiful birds with your camera.

Ted said...

What a beautiful picture that you took of the the cardinals in the tree. I love to see cardinals and bluejays flying around in gardens. I must say though that is the most cardinals that I have ever seen together at one time. It looks like a bird exhibit in a zoo :)

carolyn choi said...

I'm not saying this because the cardinal is the Illinois state bird, I just happen to think its the most beautiful bird I've ever seen.

Great photos !

GratisBezoekers said...

Wow, these pics are really great, whats really the secret to get them in your garden