Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Icestorms and Blue Jays




It's been a busy month since I've been able to blog. What with ice storms, power outages, and problems with my internet. I really do hope that saying is right about March coming in like a lion and out like a lamb. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get the yard cleaned up for SPRING:)



I did manage to get outside and take some pretty snow pictures. And I finally got some pictures of an elusive Blue Jay. They must be able to see better than the other birds cause he won't come around if I'm at the window. He usually stays way back in the yard and waits.



First he perched on the crabapple looking around for enemies. Then he swooped down and started munching away. He didn't see me crouching on the floor with my camera up in the air blindly snapping away. Of course I missed him so I slowly raised my head to get some better pics and he let me take a few more shots before he flew away.




It could have been a girl Blue Jay because the sexes look alike according to my bird book. But I always refer to them as male because they are so cocky and sometimes can be real bullies to the other birds. They sure are pretty for such fiesty birds.



As I was writing this the Jay came back and he's out there right now screeching at the other birds and guarding the bird feeder. I can't take a picture because I sent my camera with Austin, so his grandma can take a picture of him meeting his idol Spiderman at the kids fest.

5 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

Very nice photos. I kept hoping our recent storms would produce something like yours did in the pics. But it never got bad enough for the ice to last through the next day. So I got no pictures of it.

Mrs Lifecruiser said...

Very beautiful pictures - even if there is snow involved ;-)

...and that bird! We don't have them over here in Sweden. I love the look of it!

Thanks for the visit!

Sounds like a fair trade… Now, what to choose….? There are so many! I want them all…. *s* Irises and Dahlia’s is gorgeous flowers. And Canna’s. Oh, I really can’t shoose :-) You surprise me!

Oh, and welcome back :-)

Ki said...

Great pictures especially of the jays.

Ottawa Gardener said...

I love the photos, my fav is the last one - great framing.

Becky said...

O o o h, that snow looks so refreshing . . but brrrrrr!