Monday, October 15, 2007

Trying To Be Green

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

Today is blog action day. It's a day for everyone to write about the environment. I've been thinking all week about what I should write about. There are so many issues that it would take more than one post. So I decided I would write about the little things we do around here and provide some links to some interesting sites.

We have been recycling for over ten years now, I started composting last year and now I have 2 compost bins. We replaced some of our light bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs and this year we are giving them to the kids for Christmas. I joined Freecycle last year, I always try to buy our food locally , and whenever we buy a new appliance we always get one with the energy star.

There are other little things we do like trying to conserve water, growing our own food, and turning off the lights when we are not using them. And we never litter, I think it was those sad commercials we watched when we were kids.

I've been interested in green building for about 3 years now, ever since I read about a straw bale house in Mother Earth News. I've found quite a few different types of homes on the web like this earthship made out of recycled tires and this cute house in Wales. I would like to learn more about green roofs,solar water heating and using graywater.

Maybe someday we will have our dream house on our dream land and we will grow and raise our own food and have solar energy and live off the grid:) A hybrid car would be nice too. But until then we will just have to do what we can to make our environmental footprint smaller,one step at a time.

7 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Great post with lots of links, Bev! I ignored my footprint and just stuck to the garden... sometimes that's one of the few places where we're in control.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Katie said...

Here here! Great post.

Funny that us garden bloggers had a hard time thinking of what to write since we live this everyday, and the topic is not new...

Lisa Gonzalves said...

For an amazing resource on greywater check out the Greywater Guerrillas site at http://www.greywaterguerrillas.com/
Enjoy!

Lisa, Oakland CA

Andrew Morrison said...

Beverly,
What a great post. Thanks for sharing this important goal with all of us. I want to invite your readers to check out my blog at www.StrawBale.com and continue their search into green building. Thanks again for caring about such an important topic and for doing your part!

Bare Bones Gardener said...

You can only take what steps are right for you at the time

gardenmomma (Chris) said...

Thanks, Beverly for the post. I am amazed at how much I learn by doing what I like to do!

GEOTech said...

All kinds of Landscaping, Gardens, Ponds, Lawns, Maintenance Services and Supplies, Snow Removal, Residential and Commercial at GEOTech Landscaping. Log on to http://geotechlandscapes.com/ . Call us at 1-780-444-8555 or drop us an email at inquiries@geotechlandscapes.com for a free consultation. http://geotechlandscapes.com/